Process Safety Engineer
We are currently recruiting to the new role of Process Safety Engineer to support Process Safety management and improvement in Manufacturing operations for CF Fertilisers UK. We own and operate 2 sites – Ince and Billingham – which are both chemical production facilities with Major Accident Hazard potential. They are both covered under the Upper Tier requirements of the COMAH Regulations 2015 and PPC Permits. You will be based within the Billingham Main Site but cover the 3 productions areas of Billingham Main Site, Portrack Site and North Tees Ammonia Storage. This role will report into the Ince based Process Safety Manager, however work directly with the Billingham Site Management and Engineering team.
Reporting to the Process Safety Manager, the principal accountabilities of the Process Safety Engineer are as follows:
- To be the principal point of contact for all Process Safety matters for the CF Fertilisers UK Ltd Billingham sites.
- To support the organisation’s policies with respect to Process Safety performance and provide support across all aspects of the Process Safety Management system
- To manage key Process Safety activities, including Hazard Studies, Process Hazard Reviews, SIL Assessments, DSEAR, Human Factors, Process Safety Risk Assessment, etc.
- To maintain the COMAH Safety Reports for the site including leading the coordination of the 5-yearly reviews.
- To provide Process Safety support to the Billingham management and engineering team with respect to design, operation and maintenance activities within their roles, to help maintain knowledge and competence.
- To monitor and audit Process Safety performance key processes, in terms of incident investigation, standards and benchmarking, including Process Safety Performance Indicators, and report their effectiveness to Management with identified improvement opportunities.
- To maintain a network of contacts with the Competent Authority (HSE and EA), Local Authorities, and Emergency Services.
- To support the Process Safety Manager in monitoring Process Safety legislation and standards developments to identify changes relevant to CF Fertilisers UK Ltd operations, and to support the development of appropriate responses to such changes.
- To conduct regular and open communications between Ince and Billingham to promote a single standard approach to Process Safety elements and share best practice.
- To actively participate within the CF Industries Corporate Process Safety Council
The successful applicant will have a sound understanding of Process Safety tools and techniques, legislation, company and industry standards. These will have been gained over a minimum period of 2 years’ applied experience in plant technical or production roles, including particular Process Safety activities including COMAH Safety Report preparation, regulatory (HSE/EA) visits, Hazard Study, risk and consequence assessment.
Additional skills & experience:
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline (e.g. Chemical Engineering)
- Ideally you will already have or be working towards Chartered status
- Committed to on-going professional development and pro-active in developing relevant knowledge and skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to build effective relationships and achieve results through these
- Solid research skills with the ability to research EHS issues and communicate findings to the Management and Engineering teams
- Valid UK driving licence and the willingness to travel between UK sites on a monthly basis and to the US approx. twice a year.
CF Fertilisers UK Ltd is part of CF Industries, a global leader in fertiliser manufacturer and process chemicals with operations in the USA, Canada and UK. The Company employs around 550 people across two Upper Tier COMAH manufacturing sites at Ince near Chester and Billingham on Teesside. A highly successful business we also value and look after our people by providing great training and outstanding rewards.